PLPT 301 G. Klosko
Ancient and Medieval Political Theory 248-B Cabell; x3092
Fall 2004 firstname.lastname@example.org
Books have been ordered at the University Bookstore , except for one book, which is only on
reserve. Shorter readings are on the class toolkit page. Students should purchase as many
books as possible and bring them to class.. All books are on reserve in Clemons Library.
Plato, Gorgias (Hackett, paperback)
Plato, Republic (Hackett, paperback)
Aristotle, Politics, Books I ‑ VI (Penguin, paperback)
Epictetus, Enchiridion (Bobbs‑Merrill, paper)
Cicero, On the Commonwealth (Bobbs‑Merrill, paper): pp. 1‑38,105‑55, 178‑228
Gospel According to St. Matthew (any edition)
Deane, H.A., The Social and Political Ideas of St. Augustine (Columbia paperback)
- Tierney, The Crisis of Church and State: 1050‑1300 (Toronto, paper): pp. 1‑24, 45‑74, 116‑57,
- Bigongiari, ed., The Political and Social Ideas of St.Thomas Aquinas(Hafner, paper): pp. 3‑107,
Marsilius of Padua, Defender of Peace: Selection from Defensor Pacis; on reserve, on toolkit page.
- Dillenberger, ed., Luther: Selections from His Writings (Anchor, paper): pp. 3‑13, 42‑85, 363‑92,
403‑18, 434 (#4), 439‑40 (#’s 9‑10), 470 (#25)
Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos, in J. Franklin, ed., Constitutionalism and Resistance in the Sixteenth Century
(Pegasus, paper): (pp. 138-99) (on reserve only)
- Midterm and Final Examinations.
- Paper, of 10‑12 pages, on topic of your own choosing, due Monday 6 December, 2004. Please
feel free to discuss paper topics with either instructor or teaching assistant. Papers must be turned
in on time; late papers will be penalized.
- Discussion Section. You must attend discussion section. Attendance will be taken; class participation
will be considered in your grade.
Secondary Sources (on reserve)
- H. Sabine, The History of Political Theory.
- H. McIlwain, The Growth of Political Theory in the West. (Ancient and Medieval)
J.Coleman, A History of Political Thought: Vol. I, From Ancient Greece to Early Christianity
- Coleman, A History of Political Thought: Vol. II, From the MiddleAges to the Reformation
- Forsyth and M. Keens-Soper, eds., A Guide to the Political Classics: Plato to Rousseau.
R.R. Palmer and J. Colton, A History of the Modern World.
Also useful are: Encyclopedia of Philosophy, International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences,
There is an enormous literature on each of the books and authors on the list. Specific suggestions
will be offered each week. For Plato, some useful sources are:
- Barker, Greek Political Theory: Plato and His Predecessors (London 1918; rpt. 1947).
W.K.C. Guthrie, A History of Greek Philosophy, 6 vols. (Cambridge, 1962-81), Vols. 4-6.
- L. Nettleship, Lectures on the Republic of Plato, 2nd ed. (London, 1901).