Transfer Students

Students who plan to major in Government or Foreign Affairs will ideally lay the groundwork for their major at UVA before they arrive on Grounds. Two Politics courses taken at another institution may count towards the elective credit in each of our majors. Completion of at least one Politics course before arrival at UVA and Fall enrollment in two Politics courses will enable students transferring into the College to declare a Government or Foreign Affairs major in the Fall of their third year.

College students who have not completed any Politics courses with a grade of C or better before their third year or fifth term may request to defer the declaration of the Government major. To request a deferral, students must be currently enrolled in two Politics courses at UVA.

All transfer students should consult the Director of Undergraduate Programs about their plans.

Click here to view the  Transfer Student Orientation Presentation

Where can I find the official academic requirements for the University?

The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at