Declaring the Government or Foreign Affairs Major with the Politics Department

Given our current situation, steps to declare a major have been adapted:
1. Your first step is to download and consider the Major worksheets for each major:
a. Government major worksheet
b. Foreign Affairs Major worksheet
2. Fill this in, paying attention to the subfield and course level requirements. Refer to all our course offerings, not simply those listed for the current term. Lou’s list has a convenient link here: “Course Catalogues Index” . This resource also shows when the course was offered. (You can also refer to the official University Record: for the Politics Department listings are here.)
3. Save this completed form on your computer, renaming the file leading with your last name.
4. Return the worksheet as an email attachment to Ms. Sharon Marsh in the Politics Department.
5. We will review your worksheet and return it to you, directing you to the College Forms site to fill out the DocuSign Declaration of Major form. Copy your PL** list of courses from worksheet onto the College form and complete the DocuSign process. (The College form lists only PL** courses; don’t include your related courses on it.)


October 7, 2020
  • Ken Opalo
    October 7, 2020 @ 12:15 pm - 1:30 pm

More Events

Quick Links


Physical Address

1540 Jefferson Park Ave
S162 Gibson Hall


P.O. Box 400787
Charlottesville, VA 22904

(434) 924-3192

Sign up for Department of Politics News


More News