Due to unprecedented circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the UVa Politics department has extended the deadline for applications to the MA programs in Government and Foreign Affairs until July 1, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Read more about our program here. Submit application materials here.
Declaring the Government or Foreign Affairs Major with the Politics Department
Given our current situation, steps to declare a major have been adapted.
1. Your first step is to download and consider the Major worksheets for each major:
a. Government major worksheet
b. Foreign Affairs Major worksheet
2. Fill this in, paying attention to the subfield and course level requirements. Refer to all our course offerings, not simply those listed for the current term. Lou’s list has a convenient link here: “Course Catalogues Index” . This resource also shows when the course was offered. (You can also refer to the official University Record: for the Politics Department listings are here.)
a. Save this completed form on your computer, renaming the file leading with your last name.
3. The next step is to complete the College’s Declaration of Major form: An online version version of this form, available for this term only, can be found here.
4. At this point, save the form, renaming the files leading with your last name. Then return these forms, as email attachments, to Ms. Sharon Marsh in the Politics Department. We will review these forms, and take it from there, contacting you only if there are issues.
5. It is also possible, without filing any form, to delay your declaration of major to the early fall semester, no later than September 30. The College will not apply any penalties for this delay, given our current circumstances.
- Cancellation of Chantal Delsol Lectures on March 18th, 19th, and 20th. Posted on: Mar 10th, 2020
The French Paradox: Prosperity and Torment Lecture Series with Chantal Delsol scheduled on March 18th, 19th and 20th (see details below) have…
- UVA Today: How Philip Potter Navigates 21st-Century National Security Policy Posted on: Nov 8th, 2019
[UVA TODAY] November 07, 2019- Since its inception in 2018, the National Security Policy Center at the University of Virginia’s Frank Batten…
- Life After Politics 2019: Global Edition Posted on: Nov 1st, 2019
What can you do with a degree in Politics? What is life like after graduation? Life After Politics is our annual event featuring alumni mentors,…
- Life After Politics: Global Edition Posted on: Oct 21st, 2019
Friday, October 25, 2019 11:30am to 3:00pmBryant Hall at Scott Stadium, Recruiting Room, 1815 Stadium Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22903,…
- Pi Sigma Alpha Returns to the Department of Politics Posted on: Apr 5th, 2019
Starting this semester, top students in the Department of Politics again will have the opportunity to join the Pi Sigma Alpha honor society.…