Our Two Majors

Our Two Majors

The Government and Foreign Affairs majors are closely related but differ in significant ways.  Both majors require students to take:

  1. 30 credit hours (ten courses) in the Politics Department
  2. At least one course in each of the four major Political Science fields: American Politics (PLAP), Comparative Politics (PLCP), International Relations (PLIR), and Political Theory (PLPT).
  3. 15 credit hours (five courses) in the Politics department at the 3000-level or above of which three credit hours (one course) must be at the 4000-level or above.
  4. 12 credit hours of related courses from departments whose instruction is related to the study of politics

The majors differ in that Foreign Affairs majors choose an area of the world in which to concentrate, while Government majors concentrate on either the United States or broader questions about political theory.

The steps involved in declaring a major are listed on this page.

Students who wish to minor in our Department pursue a Politics minor.

The Department also offers two special study options for interested, motivated students: The Distinguished Majors Program and The Honors Program.

For information on scholarships and internships available to undergraduates, check with the Center for Undergraduate Excellence.

For further information about any of these topics, or to pick up the necessary forms for majoring in Government or Foreign Affairs, please stop by our office in Room S183 Gibson Hall. We look forward to seeing you.

Where can I find the official academic requirements for the University?

The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at http://records.ureg.virginia.edu/index.php.

Where can I find information for transfer students?

You can find information for transfer students on this page